Monday, September 13, 2010

Dinner Party

"'First of all,' he said, 'if you can learn a simple trick, Scout, you'll get along a lot better with all kinds of folks. You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view--until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.'"
--Atticus Finch from Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird

I have a small obsession with making lists. Top 10 movies, favorite books, favorite smells, most memorable high school moments, etc. I even have a journal dedicated to lists.

I'm not sure what this says about me. But I am tickled to share a list with you today--the most fantastic dinner party one can imagine.

So here it is. My top 5 dinner party guests (note: this is my fictional list. Maybe if you ask nicely I'll share the non-fiction one)

1. Dexter Morgan
First of all, if you have no idea who this is, then SHAME. ON. YOU. Dexter is a drama series on Showtime. Michael C. Hall plays Dexter, a likable serial killer working as a blood analyst in Miami. It is crazy how you start dreading the day this guy gets caught. Watch this show. You'll thank me.

2. Homer Simpson
Okay, need I say more? Homer is nothing if not entertaining. I'm been a Simpsons fan since before I can remember, and Homer has always been a favorite. It was hard to decide among Homer, Bart, Mr. Burns and Ralph Wiggum. But I don't think I could resist the shenanigans Homer would surely bring to my dinner party.
3. Harry Potter
Yes, Harry Potter. There's my inner nerd shining through again. I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan. I'm one of those people who sees the Tuesday midnight showing every time a new film is released, and the one who stands in line at Barnes and Noble from 7:30 p.m. until 12:01 a.m. Nope, not at all ashamed. They're fantastic books.

4. Atticus Finch
Imagine the conversation you could have flowing with this suave father/lawyer from To Kill a Mockingbird. I don't think I need to explain my choice with this one. The quote of the day says it all.

5. Samwise Gamgee
Did anyone else bawl like a baby in the theater every time Sam proved his loyalty to Frodo? It seemed like the tears were flowing every time he was in a scene. Sam is by far my favorite Lord of the Rings character. It's his story, after all.

And there you have it! Who wouldn't want to come to this dinner party?

If anyone else wants to share their Top 5 Fiction Dinner Party guests, please feel free to leave it in a comment. I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks!

And seriously, watch Dexter.

No comments:

Post a Comment