Monday, August 30, 2010

Typing Tutor

"You have to believe in yourself, that's the secret. Even when I was in the orphanage, when I was roaming the street trying to find enough to eat, even then I thought of myself as the greatest actor in the world."
--Charlie Chaplin

I still remember my family's very first computer. We have this home video of my brother and sister at Christmas jumping up and down and squealing over this odd-looking television, while I just kind of sat there looking extremely confused. (Give me a break, I was six).

One of the first games we got was called "Typing Tutor." It was exactly what it sounds like, and yes, I did consider it a game. I learned my way around a keyboard with that program. After each lesson, there was a game in which words would drop down from the top of the screen, and you had to type them before they reached the bottom of the screen. It was hella-fun.

I quickly became a speedy typist, and I owe it all to my humble beginnings with Typing Tutor. According to various typing tests on the interwebz, and the typing class I took in ninth grade, I type an average of 90-95 wpm with at least 95% accuracy.

By the way, I hope the picture I chose for this blog post isn't too creepy. The person in the photo kinda reminds me of the girl from "The Ring." And I was going to include a picture from that movie for comparison's sake, but the only photo I found literally scared me too much to look at for more than two seconds. But I digress.

Last week I went to the temp agency Adecco, and they sent me a few tests to measure my typing skills and knowledge of Microsft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc. I got a call this morning from the agency, and while I was above average on all of the programs, my score for the typing portion, which graded my speed and accuracy, was 118%. The guy I talked to said he didn't even know that was possible. And he even used the word "phenomenal," which made me feel kinda nice.

But even though it's a nice little ego boost, I hope this doesn't mean I'm destined for a lifetime career doing data entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment