Friday, August 27, 2010

You Can Do It!

"For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin--real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way. Something to be got through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life."
--Alfred D'Souza

This morning I woke up feeling energetic.

Haha, just kidding. I woke up groggy. Then I lay in bed for about fifteen minutes, then I decided to do something productive.

Since I ended my year of service as a VISTA, I've had some extra time on my hands. And don't get me wrong, I have been applying for jobs and going on a couple of interviews and paying visits to temp agencies. But other than that, most of my days have consisted of defeating Bowser and playing Monkey Island.

Side note: Have you ever played Monkey Island? It's amazing.

Anyway, I didn't want to get in some sort of rut for which I turn into a complete bum, so I decided to go for a little jog this morning. I downloaded this app on my iPod Touch called "Couch to 5k: Get Running!" and it helps you build up your running endurance, starting from scratch. And it's incredibly helpful!

I'm starting off really slow. It starts with a five minute speed walk, then you run for a minute and walk for a minute and a half for a total of eight one-minute runs, followed by a five minute cool down. I can listen to my music while I'm running, and the app puts it on pause to say things like "10 more seconds until you complete your fifth run!" in this really suave British accent.

It's really helpful, and it actually made me enjoy the exercise.

Well, at least tolerate the exercise.

1 comment:

  1. Good job on Couch to 5k! I'm proud of you for getting out there and getting started. You're already WAY ahead than like half the population who never even make the effort. :)

    ReplyDelete